We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The Hormone Cure is a program created by integrative physician and holistic gynecologist Sara Gottfried, MD.
It discusses the unacknowledged epidemic of hormonal disorders affecting modern women and offers practical solutions to address these imbalances.
Gottfried says very often women are led to believe that it is normal to experience health problems as we get older.
But symptoms such as;
- brain fog
- weight gain
- low sex drive
are not inevitable.
Hormone Cure Basics
The Hormone Cure asserts that you can feel healthy, energetic, happy and beautiful regardless of your age. All it takes is some simple lifestyle adjustments based on the latest scientific research about hormonal health and balance.
Hormonal Balance and Your Health
Gottfried discusses what she refers to as the “Charlie’s Angels” of hormones. When these three hormones work together the team is “powerful, graceful and effective”.
When each hormone is in the proper balance in your body you will feel more balanced and aligned. But if one of these hormones gets out of control it negatively influences the functions of the others.
An Individualized Plan
In The Hormone Cure you will undertake a questionnaire to help identify your own unique hormonal profile. With this information you then follow the lifestyle plan designed specifically for the hormonal imbalances in your body.
The strategy for restoring balance includes a combination of the following approaches:
- Nutritional supplements
- Herbal medicine
- Lifestyle changes
- Bioidentical hormones (most do not require a prescription)
These therapies help to address any underlying nutritional deficiencies and support the natural functions of your body. Once you bring your hormones back into alignment you will naturally find relief from a large variety of health issues.
Most women experience more energy, better sleep, improved mood, increased productivity and effortless weight loss.
Eating for Hormonal Balance
In The Hormone Cure a low glycemic diet is recommended which emphasizes lean proteins, low-starch vegetables and low-sugar fruits. If you lose too much weight on the meal plan you can add a serving of whole grains each day.
Sugar must be eliminated completely because it is responsible for problems with insulin balance and can also disrupt sex hormones. However, you can have one or two glasses of red wine a week depending on your weight goals, sleep and estrogen symptoms.
Hormone Balancing Foods
Organic chicken, organic turkey, grass-fed beef, lamb, wild Alaskan salmon, tofu, tempeh, beans, eggs, yogurt, protein powder, oatmeal, quinoa, lettuce, radish, purple cabbage, cucumber, carrots, raddichio, fennel, berries, apple, banana, pomegranate, ground flax seeds, chia seeds, nuts, seaweed, red wine.
Possible Meal Plan
1 ounce oatmeal, measured then cooked
4 ounces organic chicken
4 ounces grass-fed beef
Exercise Promotes Optimal Estrogen Balance
Regular exercise is essential because it promotes optimal estrogen balance and reduces stress. You should create an exercise routine and make it a habit, like brushing your teeth.
However, don’t exercise too much – especially if you have hot flashes or night sweats – because it can make these symptoms worse.
Yoga in particular is recommended for women with polycystic ovarian syndrome. It balances their hormones more effectively than other forms of exercise.
Costs and Expenses
The Hormone Cure: Reclaim Balance, Sleep, Sex Drive and Vitality Naturally with the Gottfried Protocol retails at $28.
- The Hormone Cure provides detailed information about a variety of hormonal imbalances.
- Approach is customized to suit the individual.
- Offers drug-free options for dealing with hormonal imbalances.
- Encourages consumption of organic and seasonal foods.
- Provides recommendations for labs that offer home testing of hormones.
- Explains scientific concepts in a way that is easy to understand.
- Only provides a very basic meal plan with no recipes.
- Sample meal plan is very low in calories and well below the generally accepted healthy intake.
- Organic foods can be more expensive.
- Some women will require more specific guidance to effectively overcome their hormonal disorders.
- Not suitable for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- The Hormone Cure does not address the issues of hormonal disorders in men.
A Solution for Chronic Health Issues
The Hormone Cure offers a solution for chronic health issues and stubborn weight gain caused by undiagnosed hormonal problems.
This plan includes lifestyle, nutritional and herbal alternatives to bring your hormones back into balance and keep you healthy.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Schierbeck, L. L., Rejnmark, L., Tofteng, C. L., Stilgren, L., Eiken, P., Mosekilde, L., … Jensen, J. E. B. (2012). Effect of hormone replacement therapy on cardiovascular events in recently postmenopausal women: randomised trial. Bmj, 345, e6409. study link
- Ritte, R., Lukanova, A., Berrino, F., Dossus, L., Tjønneland, A., Olsen, A., … Kaaks, R. Adiposity, hormone replacement therapy use and breast cancer risk by age and hormone receptor status: a large prospective cohort study. Breast cancer research, 14(3), R76. study link
Last Reviewed: January 25, 2018