We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Dr. Mark Hyman is the author of the book Ultrametabolism: The Simple Plan for Automatic Weight Loss, developed from the concept of nutrigenomics – the science of how food is ‘information’ that communicates with our genes. Learn to work with, instead of against, your body, and use the natural fat burners within. Eating the right foods communicates weight loss and health; eating the wrong foods communicates weight gain and disease.
Ultrametabolism explains how to prevent disease, prolong life and make dieting obsolete, with no calorie counting, no talk of ‘carbs’ or other fads, based on science tailored to an easy-to-follow, customizable program for automatic weight loss and good health, regardless of your age.
Dr. Hyman’s Ultrametabolism plan, developed from 10 years of hands-on experience at a health resort, contains seven keys to weight loss: controlling appetite and metabolism, reducing stress, managing inflammation, preventing cellular “rust,” turbo charging your metabolism, ensuring optimal thyroid function and detoxifying your liver. These derive from Ultrametabolism’s general principles:
- Eat lean protein at every meal
- Maintain the right balance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate
- Choose whole ingredients
- Focus on anti-inflammatory, anti-aging foods
- Select foods packed with powerful phytonutrients
- Keep the glycemic load low
The book targets personal trouble zones through a series of quizzes, helping to implement a diet that works with your body, eating every 3 hours except not for 3 hours before bedtime. The plan has:
- a one-week preparation – ban bad foods including sugar, high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated fats, junk food, alcohol and caffeine
- Phase I for three weeks of detoxification – introduction of whole ‘healing’ foods and elimination of common food allergens like dairy products, eggs and gluten.
- Phase II from week 4 for life – reprogrammed bodies and genes to lose weight permanently, including planned reintroduction of previously banned foods to monitor their effects on your health. Dr. Hyman states that weight-loss will amount to 11 to 21 pounds or more, by the end of eight weeks.
Here is a sample of the many recipes included in UltraMetabolism, which also contains daily menus, shopping lists and more, for the two major phases in the UltraMetabolism plan.
Cajun-Spiked Halibut with Peppers, Mustard Greens, and Baked Sweet Potatoes
Makes 2 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed and pierced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch sea salt
- Two 4- to 6-ounce Alaskan halibut steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch mustard greens (about ½ pound), trimmed, rinsed, and chopped
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the potatoes until soft, about 45 minutes.
Combine the paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne, and salt in a small bowl. Place the halibut on a plate and sprinkle with the seasoning to coat the fish well. Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a skillet; add the peppers and mustard greens, and sauté on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes. Add the remaining teaspoon of olive oil and the halibut. Sauté over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side until browned and cooked through. Serve the fish and vegetables with a baked sweet potato.
Other healthy recipes can be found here.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
Last Reviewed: April 3, 2017