We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Dr. Gott’s No Flour, No Sugar Diet is a weight-loss program developed by medical practitioner and health columnist Dr Peter Gott.
His best-selling book of the same name shows how to reduce calories in your diet by eliminating flour-based and added-sugar foods.
He believes that these highly processed foods are the primary reason Americans are so overweight and so unhealthy. By eliminating foods filled with flour and sugar, dramatic weight loss results can be realized.
No Flour No Sugar Diet Basics
Foods containing added sugar and refined flour are nutrient-poor, unlike foods containing whole grains, fruits, vegetables and legumes which are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
The No Flour, No Sugar Diet reduces the so-called ’empty’ calories of refined carbohydrate-based foods, also frequently high in fat (such as pizza and donuts).
The No Flour, No Sugar lifestyle encourages selection of foods without significant sugar and refined flour content, based on interpretation of food labels.
Exercise 30 Minutes a Day
Exercise is also mentioned (half an hour a day). No counting of calories is suggested, however the book does list foods to major on and foods to avoid.
Sample Meal Plans
The No Flour, No Sugar Diet book includes meal plans for 14 days, and no less than 75 pages of recipes (in a 186-page book!). Here are a few examples from the Meal Plans section:
Meal Plan 1
- Breakfast: Omelet muffin, sliced fresh strawberries
- Morning Snack: Diced cantaloupe
- Lunch: Greek salad
- Afternoon: No-sugar-added yogurt
- Dinner: Chicken breasts in Rosemary-Dijon sauce, spinach salad with tomato vinaigrette, steamed brown rice
Meal Plan 2
- Breakfast: Whole-grain cereal (with no flour or added sugar), nonfat milk, fresh peach
- Morning Snack: Diced pineapple
- Lunch: Green salad with water-packed tuna, sliced tomato, shredded carrot, and no-sugar-added vinaigrette
- Afternoon: Spiced Edamame (Soy beans in the pod)
- Dinner: Meatballs in tomato sauce and baked polenta with fresh corn
Meal Plan 3
- Breakfast: Basic Crepe filled with sliced lean ham and reduced-fat cheese; sliced apple
- Morning Snack: 1 stalk celery fill with reduced-fat, no-sugar-added peanut butter
- Lunch: Taco salad with spiced prawns
- Afternoon: Spiced Edamame
- Dinner: Curry yogurt chicken, steamed or sautéed zucchini, steamed brown rice
The No Flour, No Sugar diet retails for $14.99.
Eliminating Refined Carbs Causes Weight Loss
Most people who eliminate from their diet foods containing refined flour and sugar will lose weight. These foods tend to be very calorie dense and just a small amount equates to a lot of calories.
A No Flour, No Sugar Diet works by greatly reducing these high calorie foods, especially if they are replaced by a lot of vegetables and fruit.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Gott, P. H. (2006). Dr. Gott’s No Flour, No Sugar Diet. RSM Press.
- Lustig, R. H., Schmidt, L. A., Brindis, C. D. (2012). Public health: The toxic truth about sugar. Nature, 482(7383), 27-29. link
- Williams, P. G. Evaluation of the evidence between consumption of refined grains and health outcomes. Nutrition reviews, 70(2), 80-99. link
- Tabung, F., Steck, S. E., Su, L. J., Mohler, J. L., Fontham, E. T., Bensen, J. T., … Arab, L. Intake of grains and dietary fiber and prostate cancer aggressiveness by race. Prostate cancer, 2012. link
Last Reviewed: April 1, 2017